RAPID CITY – The South Dakota School of Mines & Technology, Friends of the Devereaux Library and the Elks Theatre will host the 23rd annual Nostalgia Night Film Series, “To Serve … and Entertain” Jan. 8 to March 12.
Each film shown at the historic Elks Theatre downtown features popular stars of the silver screen who also served in the military. Proceeds of the annual event will support Devereaux Library at SD Mines.
This year’s series includes 10 classic films, each shown at 7 p.m. on Sunday evenings.
• Jan. 8: “Captain Newman, M.D.”Gregory Peck leads an all-star cast of Tony Curtis, Bobby Darin, Eddie Albert, Robert Duvall and Angie Dickinson in this acclaimed 1963 classic WWII comedy/drama.
• Jan. 15: “Cool Hand Luke”
Paul Newman gives an outstanding performance as Luke, a loner sentenced to a chain gang. George Kennedy won an Academy Award for his role in this 1967 classic.
• Jan. 22: “Desk Set”
Katharine Hepburn and Spencer Tracy engage in a battle of wits in the highly entertaining 1957 comedy.• Jan. 29: “Desperate Journey”
Errol Flynn and Ronald Reagan take on Nazis in this 1942 drama when their bomber is downed in WWII Germany and they must get to England with top secret information.
• Feb. 5: “Change of Habit”
Elvis Presley and Mary Tyler Moore team up in this popular 1969 musical drama, Elvis’ final film.
• Feb. 12: “My Darling Clementine”
Henry Fonda stars as Wyatt Earp, Victor Mature as Doc Holliday and Walter Brennan as patriarch of the Clanton clan in this 1946 western.• Feb. 19: “The Man from Snowy River”
Kirk Douglas stars in this old-fashioned 1982 Western saga.
• Feb. 26: “Alice Doesn’t Live Here Anymore”
Ellen Burstyn gives an Oscar-winning performance in this 1974 film. Kris Kristofferson and Diane Ladd also star.
• March 5: “Play Misty for Me”
Clint Eastwood, stars and directs this 1971 thriller. Rated R.
• March 12: “Roman Holiday”Runaway princess Audrey Hepburn lands in the arms of reporter Gregory Peck in this 1953 film, which was nominated for 10 Academy Awards.
Season tickets are $40 and available at the Devereaux Library on the SD Mines campus; Elks Theatre, 512 6th St.; and Bag Ladies, 524 6th St. Tickets are also available by mail at Devereaux Library, 501 E. Saint Joseph St., Rapid City, S.D., 57701-3995.
Tickets for individual films may be purchased at the door on the evening of the film.