PIERRE –– South Dakota Housing for the Homeless Consortium (SDHHC), an affiliate of South Dakota Housing Development Authority (SDHDA), will conduct its annual statewide Point-In-Time (PIT) homeless count.
“We are asking for volunteers to join others who are committed to ending homelessness to assist in conducting the count,” said Jenni Bauer, continuum of care administrator for SDHDA.
Volunteers are trained, teamed up, and given the supplies and information necessary to conduct the count in their neighborhoods, communities, or counties. The count is conducted by interacting with both service agencies and homeless individuals. With the help of volunteers, SDHHC will continue to focus on reaching the more rural areas of the state.
“We are asking for volunteers all over the state to help conduct this survey. Our goal is to be in contact with homeless individuals or families and see in what ways we can help”, said Bauer.
To be more effective SDHHC has split the state into six count areas. There are coordinators in each area who will be working with agencies to conduct the PIT count correctly. Coordinators and their respective areas are listed below. If you have been involved with the count in the past or would like to be involved, please contact the individuals below for more information.
• Sioux Falls Contact: Stacey Tieszen, Minnehaha County Department of Human Services, (605) 978-5611 or firstname.lastname@example.org
• Rapid City Contact: Barb Garcia, Rapid City Community Development, (605) 394-4181 or Barbara.email@example.com
• Minnehaha, Grant, Deuel, Codington, Hamlin, Clark, Kingsbury, Brookings, Miner, Lake, Lincoln, Moody, McCook, Turner Contact: Arleen Weerheim, Inter-Lakes Community Action Partnership, (605) 256-6518 or firstname.lastname@example.org
• Beadle, Brown, Campbell, Day, Edmunds, Faulk, Hand, Hughes, Hyde, Marshall, McPherson, Potter, Roberts, Spink, Stanley, Sully, Walworth Contact: Patrick Gallagher, GROW South Dakota, (605) 626-2565 or email@example.com
• Bennet, Butte, Corson, Custer, Dewey, Fall River, Jackson, Haakon, Harding, Lawrence, Meade, Pennington, Perkins, Ziebach, Oglala Lakota Contact: Laurie Theilmann, Western South Dakota Community Action Partnership, (504) 348-1460 or Laurie@wsdca.org
• Aurora, Bon Homme, Brule, Buffalo, Charles Mix, Clay, Davison, Douglas, Gregory, Lyman, Mellette, Sanborn, Todd, Trip, Union, Yankton, Hanson, Hutchinson, Jerauld Jones Contact: Darcie Bultje, Rural Office of Community Services, (605) 487-7634 or dbultje@Rocsinc.org